Pages

Tuesday 3 May 2016

#BEDM DAY 3: Walk to Work



So today’s topic for the BEDM challenge is ‘Walking to work’. Well, I don’t actually walk to work that often and it’s a pretty boring walk when I do so I decided to do something in keeping with the topic but a little outside of the box. Originally I was going to write about the park and reservoir I discovered near our house, which is a lovely walk on a sunny day. But it turns out that sneaky fiancée of mine has beaten me to it, so read all about that at Nomad Seeks Home.

Instead, I’m going to talk about something that has helped me get into walking and made me more active. It’s an app called ‘Zombies Run’. I had heard about it and decided to download it when it was on offer. It tracks your runs/walks and shows you your distance, speed and route like other apps. What makes it different and appealing to me is that it is designed to be a zombie-survival story at the same time. The way it works is that it throws you into a zombie apocalypse and encourages you to run/walk to evade zombies, complete goals and collect resources for rebuilding.

The story is split into different mission in which you, as a ‘Runner’ are sent to complete objectives to help a settlement whilst listening to instructions as you run. These objectives gain you items that you can then use to build a visual-on-screen base once you’ve completed your goals. The story is delivered through good voice acting in your headphones and an interesting feature is that between the vocal messages, the app plays music from your iTunes/music collection and so you can listen to your favourite tracks whilst literally fleeing the zombie hordes (the power metal I have is very useful for this)!

It has helped me get more active, I’m not a runner but I do use it whenever I go for long walks as it encourages me to go more often and also actually finish them!

6 comments:

  1. I'm not sneaky! Just more organised! ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha this app sounds amazing! What a fun way to encourage activity. I have so many friends who would love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's been just what I needed to get more active. Unlocking the story is a great reward as well as the phyical benefits from the walks.

      Delete
  3. Wow this sounds so cool! I'll give it a look. Just popping by from BEDM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like an awesome app and a great way to encourage people to be more active. What does it take to get overrun by zombies? Walking slower? Not walking for a day?

    ReplyDelete